Monday, March 6, 2017

Life in Kakolo

Hey!! It’s been awhile!

Sorry for the delay in posting, but just like in the States, life happens and since I’m kinda new to this whole blog thing, it takes some getting used to. Much has been happening and it’s a joy to be a part of! Last week on Friday two girls and three guys moved from houses to the dorms. While coming of age is a big deal in African culture, the orphanage here wants to use this time to point the guys and girls in a path that follows Christ and what the Bible says about manhood and womenhood. So we had a ceremony for them, which went quite late J (I didn’t make it to the end and ended up going to bed before it was completely over). The next day was what we call birthdays. The last Saturday of each month is when any birthday from that month is celebrated! It’s always a good time of fellowship with all the houses and much of the staff! (see Facebook for some pictures!!)

I want to say a big thank you to all those who have been praying for my work permit! I still don’t know what will happen, but I am confident that God knows what He is doing! Whether I stay for Term 2 or have to return to the States for a time, I’m thankful that He is in control and the one making the decision!

School has been going well and this week especially is quite crazy! We have a little kiddo spending the week with us! Wilson is grade 1 and consequently doesn’t speak much English yet; however, he is one of the ones I had in Reception (k5) when I was here in September, so it’s nice to have that connection at least. Also, I have the opportunity to lead the dorm girls devotion time in the evenings this week!! It’s like cabin devos at camp all over again… only I get a little bit more time!! :D It’s such a blessing to read through God’s Word with them and share what we are learning. Some nights are a shy start, but I’m thankful for the friendships with these sisters in Christ. Many of them are close to my age and it’s been a joy to get to know them!

I know I’ve referred to Facebook for pictures, one of these days I might figure out how to add them on here J but until that day… I do post quite a bit about what’s going on here! You can also search the hashtag #teachingatAmano to find all of my posts about teaching or living here!

I’ve mentioned before that we’re doing an ocean theme for Term 1 and I’m excited to announce that this Saturday we will be putting up the beginning of our work on the walls of our classroom complete with blue trashbags as water and a long long long tan cleaning cloth as sand! I’m excited to see how it turns out. Stay tuned for pictures on Facebook… sorry, there I go again! ;)

Thanks again for all of your prayers! There are tough days when I think if I hear another Bemba word I’m going to cry, and some days where I have, but God gives grace and gives more each day to focus my wandring heart back on Him.

One song that has given me such encouragement recently is a rendition of Lord, I Need You. Here are the lyrics:

Lord, I come. I confess
Bowing here I find my rest
Without You I fall apart
You’re the One that guides my heart.

Lord, I need You
Oh, I need You
Every hour I need You
My one defense,
My righteousness,
O God, how I need You.

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more
Where grace is found is where You are.
And where You are, Lord, I am free
Holiness is Christ in me.




I am nothing without God! When I remember this and lean on Him both His Word and in prayer, He gives me the strength I need for each day! Thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, Abbie. I appreciate the updates. Praying for you daily. My wife and I pray for you in the evening during family devotions. Press on for God! 1 Cor. 4:5-7

    ReplyDelete