Monday, March 6, 2017

Adventures in Art

Today is a Monday, but here I am in town! It's a little after noon and I'm utilizing the internet at CABC after a trip to the immigration offices. Thankfully there was no hassle and I am legally allowed to be here until April 5th! Which is perfect timing with a buffer, because my plane flies out of Zambia on April 1st... no really, not a joke ;) Thank you to all who have prayed regarding the work VISA, I still haven't heard an answer back, but I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

These next two weeks will fly by, or at least I have a feeling they will. This week we have Wednesday off for Mother's Day and next week we have Monday off for Youth Day. Apparently they have quite a few one day holidays here in Zambia. This is actually a welcome break though since normally there's a midterm break for a week that we can't take because we started school late.

This past Saturday, I invited any of our class who wanted to come to help put up our "ocean"... basically what would be the mix of a bulletin board and a mural in the States. It turned out quite well. We had different stations for different art projects including making a pufferfish by painting the prongs of forks, stippling assorted sea creatures using acrylic paint, sponge painting assorted sea creatures using tempur paint, cutting and tracing sea shells out of sand paper, and helping put up the fish they had already completed in prior art lessons!! Needless to say it was an afternoon spent under the sea! :D

We had a great turnout including some of our village kiddos who had to come a little distance! I'm so thankful for the usefulness of art. That may seem odd, but it has given me a common ground with some of my students who are extremely gifted in art or in working with their hands but struggle a little bit on the academic side of things. Helping them see that they have a gift and an ability, even if it's not necessarily school has been fun. We have one student especially who his face just lights up whenever you ask him to draw or do anything with art. I almost couldn't get him to leave school on Saturday.

Please pray for wisdom for the FCV management as they have some decisions coming up. Pray that God would grant them the wisdom from above talked about in James and that they would be diligent in seeking His face for guidance!

Thank you for all your prayers! God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment