Monday, March 6, 2017

Wanted: Help with Books

Helping with Books!

So before I came many were asking what they could send with me to help the school. Right now we have a shortage of books and much of that is due to the fact that there hasn’t been anywhere to keep them. However, extra classrooms and an office are in the process of being built and BC is starting to think of ways to build a library for students and teachers to utilize. He will be back in the States in April and is shipping a container over of books. And we could use some help.

If you’re willing to help there are two parts:

1.    Purchasing 25 copies of a Great American Classic book and shipping it (it would need to arrive at this address before April 17) to:
Brian Cameon
5309 Stoneybrook Dr.
Charleston, WV 25313

2.    Helping out with the shipping cost for books up to $200.

This might be helpful for a group to get together and do. Email me if you’re interested in helping! J byhisgrace555@gmail.com

Also, one big struggle to teach here is vocab. When I was writing lesson plans in college each one had to start with what we called APK (accessing prior knowledge) and we got docked points if we didn’t have one or if it was weak. The struggle here is exposure. In the States even if a child doesn’t have any idea of what you’re talking about experientially, they’ve probably seen it in a movie, or they’ve heard about it from a book…. Exposure. Many kids here haven’t been exposed to many things so when I come home in April I’ll be keeping my eyes open for any picture vocab cards. And while I know many of us teachers like cutsey things, I’m specifically looking for real life pictures i.e. for lion an actual picture of a real lion, not a cartoon. So if anyone comes across anything like that feel free to give me a heads up!! It’d be a big help!


If we think of anything else I’ll pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment