Thursday, February 16, 2017

Teaching Grade 3

This week has been pretty hectic! Our grade 3 teacher has been out due to health issues and so I've been filling in. Thankfully our kids in grade three are almost all FCV kids or kids who have been at Amano all the way through so at least they understand what I'm saying more than some of the others. We've had a ton of fun and they are supposed to present something in chapel next week. So since the teacher is out I've been able to teach them a camp song. They're learning the JBC theme song from a year or two ago called I Need God's Word. It's been so exciting to talk about the importance of the Bible with them and help them realize that even at their age they can read God's Word and know Him better! It's been a joy to teach them, but it has made this week quite tiring! The delay in posting comes from the car breaking down last week on Wednesday so I didn't make it into town and then this week since I had to be to school for the beginning of the day Thursday (today) I wasn't able to stay the night in town.

But God has been good! Recently a friend shared an encouraging verse from Psalm 119. It's verse 68 and it says, "You are good and You do good." What truth!! I then read it a day later in my devos and God has just been bringing it back to mind frequently. God has a way of changing our plans in a way that brings us to Him. Living in a third world country really brings this out. In America this doesn't happen quite as frequently. Our plans changing is like the traffic being worse than we expected; however, we probably have an app that will tell us where the best way around it is and we'll eventually get where we wanted to go. Maybe that's not a good example but it just seems like we are very in control of our schedules. Here, many variables that are most of the time out of our control like a car breaking down really turn everyone's plans on their heads. A car breaking down 30 min. out in the bush is quite different than a car breaking down in my front yard or even at Wal-Mart.

It's been a hard lesson to learn. God is in control and His plans are much better than mine. I may not understand but that's not what it's all about. Hopefully learning this lesson in a small thing will transfer over to applying it in a big thing! But meditating on His goodness is such a refreshment. I don't have to be in control!

Prayer Request:

So, back in December, unbeknownst to us, my work VISA was denied. We're not completely sure why and I'm currently on a temporary VISA that continues to be renewed every thirty days up to 90 days. So right now I should be able to stay through Term 1 of school without a work VISA. The immigration office said to resubmit the paperwork and be more specific with what my work was. Zambia is very against anyone coming in who is "taking a job away from a Zambian." I put that in quotes because it's kind of ironic that they have so many (NGOs - Non-Government Organizations) represented just about everywhere. All that to say, they didn't like my work description. So we've looked at it different ways and are trying to decide what would be the best way to try again. I'm working with another American who has teacher on their work visa so we're hopeful that it would go through. I hate to say it like this but sometimes it just depends on what mood the person signing off on the visa is in that day. Once again God is in control and I'm praying for His will to be worked out in this! Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment