Friday, January 6, 2017

Up Up and Away

And I'm off. I'm praising the Lord for safe travels so far. Left the U.S. Wednesday evening via Charleston to Atlanta to Johannesburg, and now I am chilling for a bit at my aunt and uncles.

The flights were both smooth. I had a window seat for both!! (two thumbs up) and was able to sleep most of the way there. I was also thankful that my plane landed early enough in the evening that the passport line was moving quickly (waited for about 3 hours in that line coming through on the survey trip). It was such a blessing to get through in about 10 minutes!!

The interesting part came when I picked up my baggage. One of my bags handles had been bent or somehow messed up so the pull handle wouldn't budge. This might not have been a big deal in many other scenarios, but with making the move for a year I had completely maxed out my weight for 2 checked bags and 2 carry-ons... it was over 100 lbs. :D

I quickly tied my jacket around the broken handle (makeshift handle for the win), put one of my carry-ons on top of the other checked bag and set off for the exit... Yeah, I didn't make it too far and was definitely a sight :) I stopped once to switch hands and then an older gentleman who was a passenger asked if I could use a hand. He knew where the exit was I needed to get to and said he wasn't in a rush. As we talked briefly he asked me where I was from and he said that his wife has family in South Carolina!! Small world! He helped me find the exit and stayed with me til I found my aunt so I wasn't at the mercy of the taxis or want-to-be luggage helpers!

God is good all the time :) I've been rearranging some of the luggage after giving Aunt Tammy the things she had asked me to bring over. Didn't lose too much weight so we'll see how the next flight goes :) Heading out from South Africa around 8:00 am (Eastern time would be 1:00 am) to reach Ndola, Zambia around 11:00.

Thank you for your continued prayer support!

1 comment:

  1. Very resourceful! Praying for you each morning. - Pastor Mike

    ReplyDelete