Thursday, January 19, 2017

Getting Settled

Getting Settled


Saturday: God gave a smooth trip from South Africa for which I am so very thankful! My bags were a little heavier than the limit for the second airline I flew with, but the lady at the baggage desk was very helpful and when I told my aunt how much I had to pay in Rand (South African currency) she said that it was very reasonable. I was also a little concerned about the solar generator I was bringing along. In the U.S., they ran a check on it and then let it through, but I wasn’t sure how it would do getting through security in South Africa. I was prepared for my bag to be flagged and I opened it for the tsa officer. She asked me what it was, I told her a solar charger. I wasn’t prepared for her response! She replied with a, “Oh, nice!” and sent me right along like she’d seen one of those every day of work. When I told my aunt about it she replied, “Africa understands Africa.” J
When I landed in Ndola the administrator of the school (Mr. Cameon also known as BC) and Helen, the nurse I’m staying with, were there along with Paul, one of the grade 9 students. They helped me load up my bags, and we were off! We made a couple stops which allowed me to get to an ATM and pick up some things that I had not packed due to weight restrictions. We also stopped at the futbol stadium right outside of Ndola to meet a man selling a specific kind of chicken that BC wanted and was also picking up for another of the orphanage houses. Then we stopped at a little nursery and picked up some fruit trees. All in all, a profitable day! We got back to the house and I was able to get mostly unpacked.
Sunday: Church was a blessing! I am thankful for the Pastor’s use of English throughout his sermon! After church, I talked with BC more about what I would be teaching for the first week of school so I could get some things ready. For now, I’ll be teaching handwriting, geography, and vocabulary. As I was getting finished up with working on the Geography lesson, Helen made it home from the business meeting and informed me that one of the teachers at the school’s sister had passed away. The sister had been sick for some time now, but it was still somewhat unexpected. She had told some of the ladies she would drive them into town to the funeral home (a home of one of the deceased’s relatives) and was getting ready to leave. BC came over and told the two ladies (teachers) that were at the house and myself that because of all the uncertainty of when the funeral would be and those who were so close to the family being teachers, that we would postpone the start of school until the 16th of January. This doesn’t put us behind because it is when the government school starts their term. Please pray for the families who are now taking on the responsibility of the children whose mother passed away. They are each going to an aunt or uncles home.
I am thankful for a longer time to adjust before school sets in! Had a fun time playing games with some of the girls yesterday and since school has been pushed back we’re planning to have quite a few kiddos over to the house this afternoon!

Thank you for your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment